This tasty macaroni salad contains no mayonnaise, and is high in protein due to the addition of Worthington Veja-Links. Creamy and tasty, this salad tastes best if refrigerated a few hours before serving.
Makes about 1 quart. Prep: 12 minutes. Cooking 10 minutes. Total Time: 22 minutes.
- 1 c small elbow macaroni (uncooked measure)
- 3/4 c frozen peas
- 5 Worthington Veja-Links (1/2 of 19 oz can)
- 1 (14 oz) can pinto beans or similar, drained
- 1 rib celery, chopped (1/3 cup)
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c non-fat plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp prepared yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp salad oil
- 1 Tbsp parsley flakes
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- In a medium pot, bring a quart of water to a boil. Add macaroni and frozen peas. Stir and bring back to boil. Boil 5-6 minutes or until tender, stirring a few times. Drain and place in large bowl.
- Drain the Veja-Links, and cut them in 1/4 inch slices. Add them to the bowl.
- Stir in the pinto beans, celery, and red bell pepper.
- In a small bowl, blend all the dressing ingredients, whisking until creamy.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss thoroughly.
- Place in a one-quart covered container; refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.
*I have used Worthington vegetarian products for many years, and I enjoy them. Recently Atlantic Natural Foods sent me samples of their latest low fat products, and I have used them in this recipe.