This one-dish meal is loaded with vitamins, proteins, and minerals. There is no added fat, yet it has a rich, satisfying flavor. Serves 4. Prep:10 minutes. Cooking: 50 minutes. Total time: 1 hr.
- 1 (12 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 1/2 c bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded, minced
- 1/2 c raw long grain white rice
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 (12.5 oz) can Low Fat Worthington FriChik w/broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In an 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish, place the diced tomatoes with their juice, onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, jalapeno (optional), rice, thyme, salt, and the broth from the Worthington FriChik. With a spoon, stir these ingredients well and even them out in a layer.
- Nestle the Worthington FriChik pieces into the saucy mixture, spacing them evenly. Cover the baking dish tightly with foil.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, or until the rice swells and is fully cooked. Serve hot with a side of salad or fruit.
*I have enjoyed Worthington FriChik for years, and buy it frequently. Recently Atlantic Natural Foods sent free samples of their low fat products, and I have used them in this recipe.