No added salt is needed in this casserole. Mexican flavors make this high-protein casserole a hit with the whole family.
Serves 5-6. Preparation: 10 minutes. Cooking: 30 minutes. Total time: 40 minutes.
- 10 oz (2 c) Loma Linda Vegetarian Taco Filling
- 1 (12 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 c bell pepper, chopped
- 1 c onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 2 c (1 lb) cottage cheese
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 1/2 unsalted tortilla chips, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, blend the Loma Linda Vegetarian Taco Filling, tomato sauce, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, garlic and cayenne.
- In a medium bowl, blend the cottage cheese with the cheddar cheese.
- In and 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish, place one-third of the crushed tortilla chips in an even layer.
- Cover them with one-half of the taco filling mixture in an even layer.
- Next, add one-half of the cottage cheese mixture.
- Repeat layers, and end with the final third-cup of tortilla chips.
- Bake 30 minutes. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot with plenty of whole tortilla chips on the side.
*I have used Loma Linda Products for years, and I love them. Recently I received samples of the latest Loma Linda, Worthington, and Caroline’s Natural products from Atlantic Natural Foods, and I used them in developing this recipe.