This zesty salad is high in protein and travels well. It can be gluten free if gluten free pasta is used. Take it to a picnic this 4th of July!
Makes 6-7 cups of salad.
- 1 c dry brown lentils, sorted and washed
- 1/2 medium butternut squash (about 2 cups)
- 1 c uncooked small shell pasta (regular or gluten free)
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 c cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 c fresh lime juice
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- In a medium saucepan, place lentils and 3 cups salted water. Bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 25 minutes, or until tender but not mushy. Rinse in cold water; drain well.
- Peel squash and cut in 1/3 inch x 1 inch matchsticks. Drop in a pot of boiling, salted water and boil 3 minutes or until just tender. Remove with slotted spoon, retaining boiling water. Rinse in cold water; drain well.
- In the same pot of boiling water, cook pasta until al dente, according to package directions. Rinse in cold water; drain well.
- Place the lentils, squash and pasta in a large bowl. Add celery and cilantro.
- Whisk the dressing together in a small bowl. Pour over the salad and toss gently. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Serve chilled.