The Shirazi people are a Bantu group living on the East African coast near Kenya and the nearby islands. This salad is one of their specialty dishes. It is a delicious, refreshing summer treat.
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 2 medium Persian cucumbers
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 Tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chop the tomatoes, cucumbers and onions. Place them in a medium salad bowl.
- Add lemon or lime juice, olive oil, mint, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss well.
- Serve immediately or chill a few hours before serving.