No frying is needed to make these tasty corn dog muffins. Quick and easy, they are great warm or at room temperature. Pack them in your lunchbox for a nice treat.
Makes 6 medium muffins.
- 1/2 c yellow corn meal
- 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 c plain yogurt
- 1/2 c water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 6 vegetarian hot dogs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter a muffin pan that has at least 6 (half-cup) wells.
- Into a large bowl, sift the corn meal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and honey until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the yogurt, water, and beaten egg.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients until just blended. Do not over-mix!
- Spoon the batter evenly into the 6 muffin wells. (Batter will only come up about half-way.)
- Cut one veggie dog into four equal segments and stand them upright in the batter of one muffin well. Repeat with remaining veggie dogs and batter.
- Bake 18 minutes or until golden brown on top and firm. Cool in pan 5 minutes before loosening sides with a knife. Serve immediately or at room temperature. Best served with mustard on the side.