Khorasan is a whole grain heirloom wheat berry that has a tender yet chewy consistency. In this rustic olive salad, you will love the kernels of wheat berries with their nutty flavor. Use your favorite olives. We prefer the green Israeli olives mixed with Kalamata olives.
Makes about 3 1/2 cups.
- 1 c Khorasan or other wheat berries, cooked
- 1 c mixed pitted olives, cut in half
- 1 c celery, chopped
- 1/3 c parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- scant 1/4 tsp salt or to taste (the olives are often salty)
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- In a large bowl, mix the cooled wheat berries, olives, celery and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour this dressing over the wheat berry mixture and toss well. Serve at room temperature or chilled. (This salad will keep several days if tightly sealed and refrigerated.)