If you have a few vegetables and a packet of Italian Dressing and Recipe Mix, this tasty salad is a shoe-in for you!
- (1) .7 oz pkt Italian Salad Dressing and Recipe Mix
- 1/4 c red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp prepared Dijon mustard
- 2 bell peppers
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 medium red onion
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1/2 c salad olives
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce
- In a pint bottle, mix the packet mixture with the vinegar and mustard. Shake well.
- Roast the bell peppers for about 10 minutes over an open flame or under a broiler (3-4 inches from flame), turning often. Remove to a tightly covered bowl and allow to stand 15 minutes. Peel peppers, remove membranes and seeds: cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Peel and thinly slice the carrots. Cut onion in half, then slice each half thinly. Place carrots and onions in a deep bowl or pot and cover with boiling water. Allow to stand 5 minutes. Drain.
- Slice mushrooms and place in a large bowl with the bell peppers, carrots and onions. Add drained olives. Pour the marinade on top, stir well, and cover. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- In individual salad bowls, place beds of chilled lettuce. (If desired, toss the lettuce in a bit of olive oil first.) Generously top each bed of lettuce with marinated vegetables. Serve immediately.