This is the traditional American style salad, with its sweet, creamy dressing. It is a hit for a picnic, potluck, party, or any summer meal. When cutting the carrots, I use a potato peeler to cut long sheets of carrot, and then cut the sheets into thin bits.
Makes 2 quarts.
- 8 oz dry elbow macaroni
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely shredded or chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 large stalks of celery, chopped
- 6 T mayonnaise
- 7 oz sweetened condensed milk (1/2 of 14 oz can)
- 4 T white distilled vinegar
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large pot of salted water, cook macaroni for about 6 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Rinse with cold water; drain well.
- Combine macaroni, carrot, onion, and green pepper in a large bowl; toss gently, and set aside.
- Combine mayo and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir well.
- Pour dressing over macaroni mixture; toss gently to combine.
- Cover and chill 8 hours (mixture will thicken as it chills).