Companion Foods makes an inexpensive and delicious variety of braised gluten, or seitan. Here is one that has a curry and ginger flavor. We have accented those flavors and added green beans and onions.
- 1 quart salted water
- 8 oz fresh green beans
- 10 oz can Companion Curry Cha’i Pow Y (Seitan Bits), reserving liquid
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- Bring the salted water to a boil in a 2 quart saucepan.
- Trim the green beans and cut them on the diagonal into 2 inch pieces.
- Drop them in the boiling water and continue to boil them 6-10 minutes, or until tender, but still bright green. Drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan over high heat, add the liquid from the seitan bits.
- Stir fry the onion in the liquid for a few minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and continue to stir fry.
- Add the curry powder, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, green beans, and seitan and stir fry another few minutes, or until hot and well blended.
- Serve with steamed rice or Asian noodles.