- 1 c dry brown lentils
- 5 c water
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 dry Japanese chilies, crushed (or 1/2 tsp red chili flakes)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 in ginger root, minced or 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Wash and sort the lentils. Place them in a large pot with water, turmeric, and curry leaves. Bring to boil over medium high heat. Reduce flame to low, cover, and boil 35 minutes or until tender.
- In a large skillet over low heat, add the oil and butter. Saute the onion 10 minutes or until beginning to brown.
- Add garlic, chilies, mustard seeds, ginger, cumin, and paprika; saute 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes; saute 3 more minutes.
- Stir the contents of the skillet into the pot of lentils, adding water if needed. Cook on low 5 minutes.
- Add salt, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir well. Serve hot, garnished with chopped cilantro or sliced green onions. Serve with rice.