Pacific Natural Foods makes an organic butternut squash soup that works well in this recipe. The almonds bring out the natural nutty flavor of the squash. This pairs nicely with Tahini Roasted Eggplant.
- 1 c creamy butternut squash soup
- 1 1/2 c water
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter or olive oil, divided use
- 1 c brown rice
- 1/3 c raw almonds chopped
- 1/2 c sliced green onions with tops
- 1/4 tsp minced parsley (optional)
- Mix soup and water in a small saucepan.
- When it reaches a boil, add 1 tablespoon of the butter or olive oil and the cup of rice.
- Stir, bring back to boil, lower heat all the way and cover tightly.
- Simmer 45 minutes.
- Allow to stand at least 5 minutes before opening and fluffing.
- In a small skillet, saute the almonds in the remaining tablespoon of butter or olive oil, constantly stirring until the skins turn a deep shade of brown.
- Place the rice in a serving bowl and blend half of the almonds, green onions and parsley into the rice.
- Top with the remainder of the almonds, green onions and parsley.
- Serve as a side dish or main course.