This easy stove-top vegan recipe is a great way to serve fresh chard straight out of the garden.
- 6 oz uncooked spaghetti noodles
- 1 large bunch red chard
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced in half-circles
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 Kalamata olives (or your favorite type) sliced
- 1/8 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- dash black pepper
- Chop the red chard, removing any tough stems.
- In large pot of boiling salted water, add the spaghetti and bring back to boil, stirring well. Cook 8 minutes, or according to package directions for al dente.
- Use tongs to remove spaghetti to a holding bowl, leaving boiling water in pot.
- Add red chard to boiling water and boil 2 minutes, or until just tender.
- Reserve half a cup of the pasta water, then drain chard. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy skillet over medium low, warm the olive oil.
- Add onion, and cook about 8 minutes, stirring constantly until caramelized. Add garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add the reserved pasta water, the spaghetti, chard, olives, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Stir and cook a minute or two, until warmed through. Serve hot.