I like to use Betta Foods textured vegetable protein in my cooking, as the texture and flavor is excellent. If you cannot find this product, use your favorite soya protein, or substitute mushrooms for the TVP. I leave the outer skin on the fava beans for this recipe. It is mildly chewy but adds to the flavor of the stew.
- 1/2 c lamb-flavored TVP chunks
- 1 c boiling water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 c vegetable stock
- 1 c fresh fava beans, shelled
- 2 c peeled, diced sweet potatoes
- 1 bunch kale, chopped (remove tough stems)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 c cold water
- Soak TVP chunks in boiling water while preceding with recipe.
- In a large, heavy pot over medium heat, warm olive oil.
- Add onion and sauté 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and sauté another 30 seconds.
- Add vegetable stock, fava beams, TVP with soaking liquid, sweet potatoes, kale, and rosemary.
- Stirring and pressing kale down, bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove rosemary and add salt to taste (if needed) and pepper.
- Stir the corn starch in the cold water until dissolved. Add to the pot and bring to heat, stirring until thickened. Serve hot.