Using pepperoni flavored textured vegetable protein (TVP) and an array of Italian seasonings, these crumbles are great in pasta sauce, in casseroles, on pizza, or in my recipe for Italian Hash Potatoes!
Makes about 3 cups.
- 1/3 c pepperoni-flavored TVP
- 1/2 c couscous
- 2/3 c hot water
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 1/4 c gluten flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 each mustard seed, aniseed
- 1/4 each fennel seed, garlic flakes
- 1 Tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp chili sauce or ketchup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, blend TVP, couscous, and hot water. Allow to stand 10-15 minutes.
- Add onion, gluten flour, egg, spices, Worcestershire sauce, chili sauce and salt.
- Preheat a heavy skillet or griddle on medium with enough oil to coat fully.
- Make patties by dropping heaping tablespoons of batter on the oiled surface. Flatten the tops a bit.
- Cook several minutes or until set up and well browned.
- Flip over and cook the second side.
- Remove to platter and cool. Crumble into small or medium bits. Use in a variety of Italian recipes.