These burgers are baked in the oven and are low in fat. Add lettuce, pickles, onions, ketchup and all the trimmings for a great lunch entree.
Makes 4 large burgers.
- 4-6 slices whole grain bread
- 1 1/2 c ground walnuts
- 2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp vegetable salt or season salt
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 2 eggs or egg substitutes
- 1 c dairy milk or non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Oil or spray a large baking sheet.
- Toast the bread. Use a food processor or box grater to get two cups of fairly fine bread crumbs. Place in large bowl and mix in ground walnuts, sage, onion powder, paprika, vegetable salt, and celery seed.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs and blend in the milk. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients. Blend well. (Mixture will be fairly wet.)
- With your hands, knead the mixture in the bowl a bit. Form 4 large burgers of 4 inches in diameter. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes or until set up. Remove with a spatula and place on buns with all the trimmings.