If you have an abundance of tender greens in your garden, here is a way to use them to make a vegan burger or patty! Serve them on a bed of more greens. This is a refreshing summer meal!
Makes 8 medium patties.
- 1 c cooked pinto beans, drained
- 1/2 c dry bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp chickpea flour
- 4 c chopped tender greens**
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil (divided use)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dry marjoram
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp coarse black pepper
- In a large food processor, place all ingredients except one tablespoon of the oil. Pulse and process until a meaty, even texture is achieved.
- Form 8 medium patties with your hands.
- Preheat a griddle or large skillet on medium and spread the remaining tablespoon of oil evenly across the cooking surface. (You may need to work in two batches if using a skillet.)
- Cook the patties about 2-3 minutes before flipping them over. Repeat this process, flipping them over a few times, every couple of minutes until browned and firm.
- Allow to stand about 20 minutes. Serve on a green salad and pour a lemony vinaigrette on top.*** Garnish with sliced green onions.
**Use chard, kale, arugula, spinach or a mixture of any quick-cooking greens. ***To make a lemony vinaigrette, whisk together 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, 4 Tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp dry marjoram, 1/2 tsp chickpea flour, and 1/4 tsp pepper.