This is a complete vegetarian meal in itself, and it is delicious enough for company. Mexican Grey Squash may be substituted for the zucchini.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 c fresh white or French bread crumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 15 oz ricotta
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 c parsley, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced (1/4 inch thick)
- 6 oz Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Dice the zucchini into 1/2 inch pieces. You should have about 3 cups of zucchini.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add zucchini and onion: saute about 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in bread crumbs, salt, oregano, and pepper. Remove from burner.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, blend the ricotta, eggs, parsley and salt until smooth.
- Place one-half of the zucchini mixture in the bottom of an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking pan.
- Spoon all of the ricotta mixture on top, and smooth evenly.
- Add the remaining zucchini mixture, followed by a layer of sliced tomatoes and a layer of Mozzarella.
- Place the baking dish on a large baking sheet to catch any overflow in the oven. Bake 45 minutes uncovered.
- Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting in squares and serving hot. (These squares are also delicious cold.)