Leftover mashed potatoes and cooked peas from the holidays can be made into a wonderful breakfast or luncheon dish a day or two later. Serve these vegetable cakes with sour cream for a delicious treat.
Makes about 16 medium cakes.
- 2 c leftover cold mashed potatoes (made with milk/butter or plain)
- 2 c cooked peas, drained
- 1/2 c baking mix or pancake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp dry onion flakes
- 1 tsp dry rosemary
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix the potatoes, peas, baking mix, eggs, onion flakes, rosemary, salt and pepper until smooth and well-blended.
- In a large skillet over medium low heat, warm one tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Drop the potato/pea mixture by rounded quarter-cup measures into the hot oil, frying about 8 cakes in each of two batches (using the second tablespoon of oil for the second batch).
- Fry each cake for about 3 minutes on each side, or until deep brown.
- Remove to a platter and serve hot.