Golden beets are a bit sweeter than the red ones, and make a delicious shredded salad. Easy to prepare, this salad will go with any vegetarian meal.
- 2 medium golden beets
- 1/2 small mild onion
- 1/4 c dry cranberries
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- Peel the beets with a potato peeler and cut off the ends. Shred the beets on a box grater or in a food processor with a shredder blade.
- Place the beets in a medium bowl.
- Cut the onion in very thin semi-circles and add them to the bowl along with the cranberries.
- In a small bowl or jar, beat the remaining ingredients with a fork or whisk until smooth. Pour over the beet mixture and toss well.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate at least four hours before serving for best flavor.
This salad will keep a couple of days in the refrigerator. Just toss to refresh before serving.