This lasagna holds together nicely and slices up well, though it is still very moist. It has slightly spicy notes from the peppery cheese and the mace. We love it!
- 1-28 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 c water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (divided use)
- 1 c fresh parsley, roughly chopped (divided use)
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp granulated onion
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 2 tsp dry basil
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 medium large zucchini
- 2 large bell peppers
- 2 c ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground mace (or nutmeg)
- 12 oven-ready lasagna noodles (dry)
- 2 c shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 c grated Romano or cotija cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the tomato sauce, water, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/2 cup of the parsley, the granulated garlic and onion, oregano, basil and pepper. Stir well and set aside.
- Cut the zucchini and peppers into matchsticks. In a large skillet over medium low heat, warm the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add zucchini and bell pepper strips; saute 8 minutes. Remove from burner and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, blend the ricotta, egg, remaining half-cup parsley, and the mace. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large lasagna pan, spread a little sauce. Add three noodles, side by side. Spread evenly (to the very edges) with one-third of the ricotta, one-third of the vegetables, and 1/2 cup of the pepper jack cheese. Add a bit of sauce to the top and spread well.
- Repeat this layer twice.
- Add a final layer of noodles and press down gently to compact. Finish by pouring on the remaining sauce and spreading it so that all is covered. Top with remaining pepper jack and all of the Romano cheese.
- Cover tightly with tin foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes uncovered. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving.