I have been making homemade ricotta cheese lately, and have plenty of good liquid whey left over from the curdling process. It can be used in making bread, pancakes, and even in these delicious breakfast muffins. They require no eggs!
Makes 12 medium muffins.
- 1 1/2 c liquid whey
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1 c wheat bran
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 c dark raisins
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly butter or spray a 12-muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the whey and oil. Add bran, brown sugar, chia seeds, raisins, and soda. Stir and allow to stand 10 minutes.
- Whisk together the flour and salt. Add to wet ingredients and blend just until incorporated.
- Drop batter into the prepared muffin wells, filling them nearly full. Bake about 25 minutes, or until they spring back when pressed lightly in center. Remove pan to cooling rack and allow to stand 10 minutes before releasing muffins and letting them cool completely on the rack. Serve with softened butter.