I use my recipe for Vegetarian Onion Soup Mix to make this delicious meatloaf, but a store-bought packet will do. Serve with extra ketchup or homemade Old-Fashioned Country Chili Sauce. The leftovers make great sandwiches too!
- 1/4 c homemade Vegetarian Onion Soup Mix (or 1 pkt store-bought)
- 2 c TVP granules
- 1 3/4 c boiling water
- 3/4 c Italian style dry bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 c ketchup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dry basil
- Put first three ingredients in large bowl. Stir and allow to stand 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Lightly butter the parchment.
- To the large bowl of TVP, add bread crumbs, eggs, ketchup, oil, and basil; blend well.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto the center of the prepared pan and shape into loaf.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until done. Let stand for 10 minutes before lifting to a platter and serving. (Use the parchment paper to support loaf while lifting, then trim parchment away from edges. The slices will lift easily from the remaining parchment paper underneath.) If desired, squiggle some ketchup stripes over the top of the uncut loaf. Serve with extra ketchup and/or chili sauce.