This unusual salad is sweet enough to serve as a dessert or snack. It can also serve as a luncheon main course. Because there is no mayonnaise in it, it will keep well in a cooler for picnic meals.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/3 inch cubes
- 1/2 medium jicama, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tart apple, unpeeled and finely diced
- 1/4 c chopped salted cashews
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh mint or 1 tsp dry mint
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 1 Tbsp honey or agave nector
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 dash salt & pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add cubed sweet potatoes and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until barely tender.
- Drain sweet potatoes and add to a large bowl and place in refrigerator or to cool briefly.
- To the cooled sweet potatoes, add the jicama, apple, cashews and mint.
- In a small bowl, blend the dressing ingredients until smooth. Pour on the salad and toss well. If desired add a sprig of mint to the top and a few more cashews.
- Serve potato salad chilled. Will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.