Minnesota hotdishes are convenient one-dish meals that are great for family meals or potluck suppers. Here is a tasty vegetarian version. Loaded with vegetables, the buttered “tater tots” on top are crisp and tasty.
- 14 oz frozen potato nuggets (1/2 pkg “tater tots”)
- 3/4 c onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 c celery, chopped
- 2 c chopped cauliflower (1/2 inch bits or smaller)
- 2 c frozen mixed vegetables (peas, corn, carrots, etc)
- 1/4 c parsley, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1-10 oz can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 c plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- dash paprika
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and butter an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish or similar.
- In a large bowl, blend together half of the potato nuggets, the onion, celery, cauliflower, peas, parsley, basil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- In a smaller bowl blend together the condensed soup, yogurt, cheese, and onion powder. Pour this mixture into the larger bowl and blend everything together. Spoon evenly into the prepared baking dish. Use clean hands to press down gently on the casserole to compact it.
- In a medium bowl, mix the remaining potato nuggets with the melted butter and paprika until well coated. Distribute these potato buds on the top of the casserole in a pleasing pattern, gently nestling them in a bit.
- Bake about 40 minutes, or until browned and bubbling at the edges. Serve hot.