I like to pump up the protein in our granola with wheat germ and nuts. Mildly sweet, this honeyed breakfast treat is great for snacks too!
Makes about 6-7 cups.
- 3 c old fashioned oats
- 1 c raw sunflower seeds
- 1 c raw wheat germ
- 1 c unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 c mixed nuts
- 1/2 c honey
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F and oil 2 large baking sheets or pans.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, coconut, and nuts.
- In a small saucepan, heat the oil and honey just until they are runny, but not simmering. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour the honey mixture over the oat mixture and blend until everything is well coated.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheets. Bake 30 minutes, remove from oven briefly to turn everything over with spatula.
- Return to oven, switching top and bottom baking sheets; bake 20-30 minutes more, or until golden brown. Use spatula to flip and mix granola. Cool completely on baking sheet. Transfer to a tightly covered container.