The surprising combination of lime and tomato lend a piquancy to this dish that is very enjoyable.
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large eggplant, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 c tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 c mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dry dill
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes; cover with water. Allow to stand 15 minutes. Drain and dry on clean towel.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and oil an 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the oil and saute onions and eggplant about 5 minutes, or until soft and browned. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Combine tomato sauce and lime juice.
- Place 1/3 of the tomato sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Add half of the potato slices in an even layer, followed by half the eggplant/onion mixture.
- Repeat the layering and add the final third of tomato sauce on top. Spread with back of spoon.
- Mix the mayonnaise with dill and dot the dish with teaspoonfuls of dill mayonnaise. Spread evenly with back of spoon.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until potatoes are just fork tender. Serve hot with lime slices.