There is a whole garden of vegetables, herbs and spices in this vegan Cajun dish. Perfect for a special occasion, this do-ahead dish will allow the cook time to interact with guests. Serve with a loaf of artisan bread and a crisp salad.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (any color)
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 2-4 vegetarian sausages, sliced (Yves Veggie Brats or similar)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 c tomatoes, chopped ( or use 15 oz can with liquid)
- 1 c cooked red beans, drained
- 1/4 c fresh parsley, minced
- 1 Tbsp ham or bacon-flavored soy bits ( optional)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 c raw converted or long grain rice, well rinsed
- 2 c chicken style vegetarian broth
- In a large skillet over medium low heat, warm the oil; saute onions, bell pepper, green onions, zucchini, carrots, and sausage for 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute another minute.
- Add to crock pot, along with the tomatoes, red beans, parsley, soy bits, paprika, Old Bay seasoning, salt, rice and broth. Stir well.
- Set on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours, stirring once mid-way. Set crock pot to hold or warm until ready to serve.