Tortilla Corn Fritters can be served just as they are, or with salsa and sour cream. They are great way to use up extra corn tortillas and taste delicious with a side of refried beans or an avocado salad.
Makes about 12 small fritters.
- 4 corn tortillas torn in small pieces
- 1/2 c boiling water
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp softened butter
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground red chili or cayenne
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 c all purpose flour
- 1 c corn, drained (fresh, defrosted, or canned)
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- In medium bowl, soak tortilla bits in boiling water 10 minutes. Add mixture to food processor or blender and process until nearly pureed.
- Add egg, butter, onion powder, ground red chili, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and flour. Pulse several times. Return to bowl; stir in the flour. When well-blended, fold in the corn.
- In a large skillet, heat half of the oil. Drop half of the batter (about 6 fritters) by rounded tablespoons in the oiled skillet. Fry 2-3 minutes and turn once or twice, or until browned on both sides. Remove to serving plate and repeat with the second batch. Serve hot.