With a can of FriChik, a chicken-like vegetarian product by Worthington, you can put together this easy, nutritious one pot meal.
- 1-12.5 oz can Worthington FriChik
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and medium sliced
- 2 c frozen peas
- 1-10 oz can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp savory
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 c vegetable shortening
- 2-3 Tbsp ice water
- Strain FriChik, reserving liquid. Dice FriChik. Set aside.
- In an oven proof 2-quart pot or 10-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium high. Saute the onion and celery for 3 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the reserved FriChik liquid, carrots and peas. Bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low and cover tightly. Simmer 15 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Stir in the FriChik, cream of celery soup (without adding water), turmeric, savory, paprika and black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add shortening and cut in evenly with a fork, pastry cutter, or fingertips. When the lumps of shortening are no bigger than a small pea, stir in the ice water a bit at a time, until the dough comes together.
- Roll out dough to be an inch bigger than your pot, using a bit of flour on the rolling pin and rolling surface. Place dough on top of filling. Roll excess dough under to fit surface; crimp edges. Cut slits in the crust to allow air to escape.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until dough has a golden cast and the filling has bubbled through the slits. Allow to stand at least 15 minutes to thicken. Cut and spoon out into shallow bowls.