Makes about 8 small or 6 large burgers.
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 c water
- 1 c whole wheat dry breadcrumbs
- 1 c raw sunflower seeds
- 2 c cubed whole eggplant
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (plus more for frying)
- 1 tsp Herbes de Provence
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a small bowl, blend the chia seeds and water. Allow to stand and thicken 10 minutes.
- In a food processor, place the chia seed mixture, bread crumbs, sunflower seeds, eggplant, olive oil, Herbes de Provence
, salt and pepper. Pulse several times, then process a couple of minutes, or until a thick meat-like dough develops.
- Form by hand into burgers or use an oiled patty press. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, warm 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Working in one or two batches, add the patties.
- Brown lightly on each side, turning a few times. Transfer to a buns or place on a serving plate. Serve hot.