Use beef flavored textured soy protein chunks to make this vitamin rich baked dish.
- 1 c beef-flavored soya (TVP) chunks
- 1 c boiling vegetable broth
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp butter (divided use)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium yellow (summer) squash, diced (1/3″)
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced( 1/3″)
- 1 (12 oz) bag frozen chopped spinach
- 1 1/2 c cooked or canned pinto beans, drained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 c cubed day-old bread
- Soak the soya chunks in the hot broth and Worcestershire sauce for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- In an oven-proof 2 quart or larger pot, melt one tablespoon of the butter in the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, yellow squash and sweet potato. Saute 5 minutes.
- Add the frozen spinach and continue to cook another 5 minutes, or until the spinach in thawed.
- Add beans, TVP with soaking broth, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and add the bread cubes. Coat well, and sprinkle over the top of the cassoulet.
- Bake 40 minutes, uncovered. Serve hot.