Makes 1 (9.5 inch) peach pie.
- 2 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 4 Tbsp cold butter
- 1/2 c cold vegetable shortening
- 4-5 Tbsp ice water
- 8-9 medium ripe, firm peaches
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c granulated sugar (plus 1-2 tbsp for topping crust)
- 1/4 c corn starch
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp milk or buttermilk
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and cream of tartar,.
- Using box grater, coarsely shred the butter; add to dry ingredients along with shortening.
- Using pastry cutter or fork, blend fats into dry ingredients until the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle in ice water gradually, until dough comes together in a ball.
- Divide dough in half; form two dough balls. Using a rolling pie, roll one between sheets of wax paper until it fits a 9 1/2 inch pie plate. Place pie plate with rolled dough in refrigerator.
- Repeat with the second dough ball, leaving it on wax paper and laying it on top of pie plate in refrigerator while proceeding with filling.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Into large bowl, peel and slice peaches.
- Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, corn starch, cinnamon, salt, and lemon juice. Stir well.
- Remove pie crusts from refrigerator and fill lower crust with peach filling. Dot top with the butter.
- Add top crust and crimp edges. Brush crust with (1 tablespoon) milk. Sprinkle with reserved 1-2 tbsp sugar.
- Cut several slits in top crust with sharp knife.
- Place pie on baking sheet to catch any drips.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, or until filling bubbles out a from slits in top crust.
- Cool at least an hour before serving.