- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/3 c minced parsley
- 1 tsp dry oregano leaves
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 c almond flour
- 1 c grated Parmesan (divided use)
- 1 c shredded Mozarella
- In a heavy pot over medium low heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add onions; saute 10 minutes.
- Add garlic; saute another minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, parsley, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, and salt/pepper to taste.
- Bring to simmer, reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir, remove from heat and set aside.
Breaded Eggplant and Baking:
- Wash eggplant; cut crosswise into 1/3 inch thick slices.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs, salt and pepper well.
- In a second shallow bowl, mix together the almond flour and 3/4 cup of the grated Parmesan.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and generously oil large baking sheet(s) with olive oil.
- Dip each eggplant slice in egg, turning to coat both sides. Dredge each slice in almond flour mixture. Set breaded eggplant in single layer on the prepared baking sheet(s).
- Bake 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. (Leave oven on after removing eggplant.)
- In a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish, spoon a little of the marinara sauce, spreading it over the bottom of the dish.
- Add half the breaded eggplant slices in a single layer.
- Pour over half of the remaining marinara, spreading evenly.
- Repeat layers with remaining eggplant and marinara.
- Top with shredded mozzarella and remaining quarter-cup of Parmesan.
- Bake uncovered 20 minutes more.
- Serve hot or warm with a salad.