I like to bake this dish on a busy weekday evening. It has all the flavors of a great lasagna without the fuss. Any family would enjoy this dish with a side of sliced fruit and/or a green salad.
- 1 c cottage cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c vegetarian sausage/beef crumbles
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 1/2 c bell pepper, chopped
- 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1-6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 c milk
- 1/2 c baking mix (Bisquick or similar)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1/4 c sliced black olives, drained (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and oil an 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish. Spread cottage cheese in bottom of baking dish.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm the oil and saute the sausage crumbles, onion, and bell pepper for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from burner and stir in mozzarella, garlic powder, oregano, and tomato paste. Spoon mixture evenly over the cottage cheese.
- Whisk together the milk, baking mix, eggs, salt, and pepper until smooth. Pour batter over sausage mixture. Scatter olive slices over top.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and the top is golden brown. Cut in squares and serve hot with a crisp salad.