This is a version of cheese enchiladas that is quick and easy to make. Use canned enchilada sauce, or use our recipe for Enchilada Sauce (Using Dry Chiles).
- 1 c lowfat cottage cheese
- 3/4 c shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 c enchilada sauce
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1/2 c cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place cottage cheese in a food processor; process 1 minute or until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, blend together the cottage cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, onion, and salt.
- Spread a spoonful of the enchilada sauce in bottom of an oiled 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish or similar.
- Place 4 tortillas over sauce, overlapping them. Spread half of the cottage cheese mixture evenly over tortillas; top with one-third of the remaining enchilada sauce.
- Repeat layers once.
- Finish with remaining 4 tortillas, followed by the remaining enchilada sauce.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheddar cheese. Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to stand 5 minutes before cutting into portions. If desired, serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of sliced green onions.