This recipe does not require special pickling cucumbers. If your cucumbers have a waxy coating, spray them with (or dip them in) a vinegar solution. Then scrub them carefully with a bristle brush. These are refrigerator pickles, and need no special processing. They will keep in the refrigerator for a few months.
Makes 2 quarts.
- 7 c cucumbers, sliced 1/8 inch thick (about 4 medium cukes)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 c distilled white vinegar
- 1 c sugar
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp dill seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes/li>
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- In two very clean quart canning jars, pack equal amounts of the cucumber slices, interspersing the onion slices among them and leaving at least 1/2 inch clearance at the top. Set aside.
- In a large pot, mix the distilled vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard seeds, dill seeds, turmeric, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Bring to boil on medium heat. Remove from stove.
- Carefully pour the hot vinegar mixture over the cucumbers in each bottle, again leaving 1/2 inch clearance on top.
- Cool to room temperature before sealing with lids. Refrigerate continuously and use within a couple of months.