These pancakes, made from the sourdough starter that is often discarded, are especially delicious. Uae 100% hydration starter (equal parts of flour and water) for best consistency.
Makes 4 large pancakes.
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c sourdough starter (100% hydration)
- 1/2 c milk
- 1/4 c water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- butter for frying
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg.
- Add starter, milk, water and vanilla. Blend well.
- Sift in the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir just enough to combine.
- Cover and allow to stand at room temperature 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat a griddle or skillet on medium heat.
- Add enough butter to the frying surface to grease it well.
- Stir batter lightly. Pour a rounded half-cup of batter onto the hot buttered surface.
- Cook about 2 minutes, or until bubbles form and break throughout the top.
- Flip over and cook the bottom a minute or so, until firm and browned.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve hot with butter and maple syrup.