If you want to save electricity by using a smaller oven, or if your full-sized oven is not working, try this healthy bread recipe. You will need 2 small loaf pans, ones that will make 3/4 pound loaves. My pans measure 8 x 4 x 2 inches on top and 7 x 3 x 2 inches on the bottom.
Makes 2 small loaves (3/4 pounds each).
- 1 c warm filtered water
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 Tbsp yeast
- 2 2/3 c whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp vital wheat gluten (gluten flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- butter for greasing pans and tops of loaves
- Place water, oil, honey, and yeast in a stand mixer bowl. Allow to stand 10 minutes or until foamy.
- Add 1 1/3 cups of the flour plus the gluten flour. Using the mixer paddle, mix well. Allow to stand 15 minutes to soften.
- Switch to dough hook; turn mixer on low. Mix, gradually adding remaining 4/3 cups flour and salt until well combined..
- Knead in mixer 10 minutes.
- Transfer dough to oiled bowl, turn over to oil all sides of the dough. Cover and allow to rise one hour.
- On UNfloured surface, cut dough in half. Press each portion into rectangle. Roll each tightly into loaf shape, pinching ends together. Place in buttered small bread pans (See note above.)
- Cover pans with tea towel. Allow to rise in a warm place 45 minutes.
- Place toaster oven rack in lowest position. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Transfer to cooling rack. Brush tops with butter. Cool completely before slicing.