Flax seeds, also called “linseeds”, are one of the world’s richest sources of plant-based omega-3 fatty acids. In these breakfast muffins, they add a nutty flavor and great texture!
Makes 12 medium muffins.
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 c dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 3/4 c water
- 1/2 c flax seed meal
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 12-well muffin baking tray.
- In medium bowl, use wooden spoon to cream butter and brown sugar until smooth.
- Beat in eggs.
- Add sour cream, water, and flax seed meal; blend well.
- In smaller bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture and stir gently just until blended.
- Spoon thick batter into muffin cups, filling them 3/4 full. Bake 20 minutes, or until they spring back when gently pressed on top.
- Cool in tray 3 minutes, then turn out on a cooling rack to cool further. Serve with butter.