Here is a recipe for healthy muffins that children and adults alike will enjoy receiving in their lunch bags. I like them for an evening snack with herbal tea.
Makes 8 large muffins.
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 c whole milk
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1/4 c honey
- 1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 c diced, peeled apple
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and butter an 8 (1/2 cup) muffin well pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs lightly with a whisk or fork.
- Add milk, oil and honey; blend well.
- In a medium bowl, combine the whole wheat flour with the baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice and salt. Blend well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix briefly. Fold in the apples and blend just until all is incorporated but not over-mixed.
- Spoon batter into well, filling nearly to the top. Smooth tops to edges.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until tops are firm and browned.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn out on cooling rack until completely cooled. Store in sealed bag or container.