This tasty dish will make tofu lovers out of just about anyone! It’s easy to make, low in fat, and high in protein. I like to serve it with fried rice.
- 12-16 oz extra firm tofu
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 oz mushrooms, coarsely sliced
- 1/4 tsp toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 tsp grated ginger root
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 2 Tbsp vegetarian mushroom oyster sauce
- Slice the tofu into triangular pieces of about 1/3 inch in thickness.
- Place a clean absorbent towel on a large baking sheet. Place the tofu in a single layer on the towel.
- Cover the tofu with a second clean towel and weight the tofu down with a large heavy pot or can.
- Allow to stand and drain one hour. Remove from toweling and pat dry.
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the vegetable oil and distribute it evenly. Add the tofu and allow to brown without disturbing it, for about 4 minutes. Turn and brown the other sides for another 2 minutes or so.
- Remove tofu to a holding dish.
- Add the sesame oil to the same skillet and stir in the mushrooms. Cook until barely tender, or about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the ginger and garlic and cook another minute, stirring constantly.
- Add back the tofu and sprinkle with oyster sauce. Heat for a minute. Serve hot with a side of rice.