Similar to a store-bought Boboli Pizza Crust, but made with simple ingredients at home, these shells may be par-baked, wrapped tightly, and refrigerated for up to a week. To cook, spread with sauce, add toppings, and bake at 400 degrees F for just 10-15 minutes.
Makes one 12-inch medium thick shell.
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c raw wheat germ
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 c sour cream
- 2-3 Tbsp ice water
- Place flour, wheat germ, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together well.
- Cut in the sour cream using a fork, pastry cutter, or clean hands until uniformly distributed. Sprinkle in the ice water a tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together. Knead on a floured surface for two minutes, or until pliable. Allow to rest 10 minutes. While resting, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and oil/butter a 12 inch pizza pan.
- Using a rolling pin and working on a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 13 inch disc. Place in the prepared pizza pan, and bring the dough up the edge, forming a slight lip around the circumference. Prick the dough all over with a fork.
- Bake 10 minutes. At this point, you may cool, wrap, and refrigerate the crust until ready to bake the pizza. To bake, spread the shell evenly with sauce, top with raw or roasted vegetables, and cover with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes.