These muffins have absolutely no fat, and yet are moist and delicious. They are not too crumbly, so they travel well. Grab a couple and eat them on the way to work. They make a wonderful breakfast. They store well when wrapped carefully, and will be just as good the second or third day.
Makes 8 muffins.
- 1/2 c canned sweet potatoes, mashed
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 1/2 c raw sugar
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 c golden raisins
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, water, rum extract, raw sugar and egg. Mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Blend well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just enough to make a smooth thick batter. Fold in the raisins.
- Line large muffin cups with paper liners or butter the cups.
- Spoon about 1/3 c of the dough-like batter into each cup and bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees.
- Turn the oven down to 350 degrees F. and continue baking for 15-18 minutes more, or until the muffins are browning on top.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before serving.