These scrumptious tortillas, made with our sourdough starter, are even good eaten plain or with a smear of butter, but try them with our Refried Pink Beans for a real treat!
Makes 8 large tortillas.
- 1/2 c sourdough starter
- 3/4 c warm water
- 1/4 c corn oil
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- In a large bowl, combine the sourdough starter, warm water and oil.
- Add flour and salt; stir with wooden spoon until it comes together. Knead one minute or until smooth and pliable. Allow dough to rest 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 even dough balls. Using a rolling pin, roll each dough ball on a lightly floured surface, adding a bit more flour to the top on the dough. The tortillas should be thin and large.
- Heat a large, dry skillet or griddle to about 400 degrees F. Cook the tortillas one at a time, turning a few times until they puff out and there are little brown specks on both sides of each.
- Stack on a plate and use in your favorite recipes. Once cool, cover unused tortillas tightly, and when needed, reheat briefly in a dry skillet.