These are little cookies made from wonton wrappers, and have only a few ingredients, but they are scrumptious! I wrap the wontons into little envelopes to keep the sweets inside.
Makes about 48 cookies.
- 1-2 c high heat vegetable oil
- 8 oz cream cheese, cold
- 1-12 oz package wonton wraps (about 48)
- 1/3 c honey
- In a heavy, deep pot of medium size, place enough oil to rise about 1 inch in the bottom. Heat on medium heat while preparing the wonton cookies.
- Cut the brick of cream cheese into 16 cubes.
- Lay 6 wonton wrappers at a time on a tray. Divide one of the cubes of cream cheese into 3 small pieces, and place each piece on a wonton wrap. Repeat with a second cube of cream cheese.
- Drizzle about 1/3 teaspoon of honey on top on the cream cheese on each won ton wrap. Fold the wrap in half diagonally. Turn the two outer ends in to the center. Fold the final end over, forming an envelope. (There is no need to wet the edges.)
- Carefully drop the 6 wonton cookies in the hot oil and allow to brown about 15-25 seconds. Turn and brown the other side. Remove to a sieve placed over a bowl to catch excess oil.
- Skim any bits off the surface of the oil with a slotted spoon and repeat the above process seven more times, making 6 cookies at a time. Cool at least 15 minutes. If desired, sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.