These tortillas are about 94 calories each. We love to make bean and cheese burritos with them.
Makes 12 (8″) tortillas.
- 2 c bread flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup hot water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix the hot water and olive oil until viscous.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the liquid mixture. Mix well with wooden spoon, then mix with clean hands until all is incorporated.
- Turn out on work surface and knead 1-2 minutes. Form dough into a ball.
- Cover dough ball with the bowl you mixed it in; allow to stand 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 equally sized dough balls.
- Preheat a heavy skillet or griddle on medium.
- With a rolling pin, roll one ball thinly enough to be translucent and to be about 8 inch in diameter.
- Place a tortilla holder or pie plate beside the grill and line it with a clean tea towel. Have a spatula handy.
- Place rolled tortilla on hot skillet for a few seconds, flip over and heat another few seconds. Flip over a second time and cook for a few more seconds. (Tortillas should bubble up a bit and have charred/brown spots on both sides.)
- Remove tortilla to lined tortilla holder/pie plate. Repeat with remaining dough balls.
- When tortillas are cool, cover with tea towel and a lid or aluminum foil to store at room temperature.