Makes one large loaf.
- 1 Tbsp instant dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp diastatic malt powder
- 1 3/4 c cold milk
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 4 c bread flour
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer with a dough hook.
- Beat on low speed until well-mixed. Continue beating another 5 minutes.
- Transfer to an oiled bowl and cover. Place in a warm, draft-free place for 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn dough out on a clean surface and roll into a large rectangle. Roll tightly into a long baguette shape, pinching seams together to seal them.
- Place on a piece of parchment paper.
- On a large baking sheet, shape a large sheet of aluminum foil into a “cradle” for the bread, having two walls on either side of the loaf to keep it from spreading too much.
- Place the loaf with its parchment paper into the “cradle”. Allow to rise 35 minutes, preheating the oven during the last part of the rise to 400 degrees F.
- Bake in the center oven for 25 minutes or until well-browned top and bottom.
- Cool on rack.