This simple, low carb recipe will taste like a rich Italian feast, but without the calories.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced in semi-circles
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 c cooked chickpeas, drained
- 1 1/2 c crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 medium large zucchini, sliced (1/3″ thick)
- 1/2 c shredded hard cheese (Parmesan, Romano, Asiago blend or similar)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and oil an 11 X 7 X 2 inch baking pan.
- In a heavy pot or skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion; saute 4 minutes.
- Add garlic; saute another minute.
- Stir in chickpeas, crushed tomatoes, salt and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Place zucchini slices in the prepared baking dish in an even layer.
- Spoon the chickpea mixture evenly over the zucchini.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top; bake 25 minutes or until the zucchini is tender but not mushy.
- Serve hot.