Chickpeas have 39 grams of protein in one cup. Serving this stew is a very delicious way to “beef-up” a vegetarian diet.
Makes 4 servings.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 c de-stemmed, chopped kale or other hearty greens
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c tomato sauce
- 1 c chicken-style vegetarian broth
- 1 Tbsp capers, minced (optional)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt (reduce if using salted chickpeas)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 c cooked chickpeas
- In a large, heavy pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add onions, carrots, and kale. Saute 5 minutes.
- Add garlic; saute another minute.
- Stir in tomato sauce, broth, capers, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and chickpeas.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Serve hot in bowls with bread, or ladle over cooked rice.